Friday, August 17, 2012

Korea Brief--Information Overload!

     Wow.  I think my brain is going to explode if I have to stuff any more information in it.  Mind you, it's useful information, but still. . . information overload.  Our briefer led us to a small back room where she gave us a folder stuffed with papers, a notebook, and a pen, then popped a DVD into a laptop.  Images began to appear on the wall in front of us.  We found ourselves learning about the history of Americans in South Korea during the Korean war then were transported into the world of Camp Humphreys.  The video took us through what Humphreys used to be like to what it is now.  They just acquired new land from the Korean government (I believe in exchange for choice property in Seoul).  This new land is adjacent to the post and includes an abundance of new housing for families and single soldiers alike.  They even have an “aquatics park” on post.  Looked pretty much like a water park to me. . .  Anywho, it went on to advise us on touristy places to visit (including the DMZ), then info on the various and as sundry modes of transportation to choose from all over South Korea.  All of that information was pretty basic and easy to digest.  I barely even took any notes.
      
     Next up, the actual information overload part of our little briefing.  Our briefer brought up a power point presentation (included in that handy folder she gave us at the beginning) and dove right in.  That power-point print out was my lifesaver.  We went through those slides relatively quickly and it was all I could do to write down the more important, pressing information that I would like to call up at a moment’s notice, if desired, instead of wading through all the slides (63 for those of you who were curious) just to find my answer.  First, we learned about preparations before departing for our new-found home.  There are many of these preparations.  Good thing we don’t have to do them all at once, or I might be severely tempted to revert to total shut-down mode—a mode which my husband would have to gently coax me out of until I regained my senses and was able to plow through everything.  Ok, not really, but still. . . tempting. . . 
     
     For starters, they strongly suggest (meaning you had better, or else) you have 25 copies minimum of your orders, as many steps in the PCS process require you to have 1 or more copies of your full orders to get anything done. Example: financial brief requires orders, no-fee passport requires orders, etc.  Other preparatory items include obtaining command sponsorship, physicals, getting an APO mail box at your new station, finding a sponsor (this differs from command sponsorship in that it is a soldier who has been stationed in Korea for a while and knows the basics of layout and how things work there—basically your go-to person with any questions you may have), making reservations for temp housing, passports, flights out, etc.  There is much more, but I may go into that pesky shut-down mode if I have to list everything off at once.
     
     What I found most helpful, aside from what to expect upon arrival, was a dandy list of things that you should hand carry to your new home away from home.  If these items are shipped, chances are you won’t see them until you unpack that very last box, at which point you will most likely be at your breaking point, because you need these items to get checked in and cannot do without them. I’m sure there are more things to hand carry (like POA and birth and marriage certificates), but that’s the basic short list. J 
     
     The remainder of the brief was on what to expect once you touch down in South Korea, including everything from what to do as soon as you step off the plane to what to expect once living in Korea.  I won’t get into any of that now because it’s enough ahead that if I do too much pondering the risk of going into that comatose, shut-down mode comes back to haunt me.

     As for now, I shall focus on just getting through EFMP screening and waiting for our orders.  Once we get our orders, the fun will begin and the seemingly-endless checklist I've been keeping a running tally of in my head will finally begin to dwindle.  Maybe I'll be inspired to tackle the rest of the briefing tomorrow after a good night's rest.  I tell you what, sleep fixes everything!  In the words of Anne Shirley, "Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet."  Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment